Under the Coronavirus Response and Relief Supplemental Appropriations Act of 2021 and the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021, FEMA will provide financial assistance for COVID-19-related funeral expenses incurred after January 20, 2020. FEMA will begin to implement COVID-19 funeral assistance in April 2021.
FEMA will begin accepting applications for Funeral Assistance on Monday, April 12, 2021 through the dedicated call center: 844-684-6333 or TTY: 800-462-7585. Additional guidance is being finalized and a dedicated toll-free phone number to call to apply for funeral assistance will soon be published HERE on the FEMA website. In the meantime, people who have COVID-19 funeral expenses are encouraged to keep and gather documentation.
Who is Eligible?
To be eligible for funeral assistance, you must meet these conditions:
- The death must have occurred in the United States, including the U.S. territories, and the District of Columbia.
- The death certificate must indicate the death was attributed to COVID-19.
- The applicant must be a U.S. citizen, non-citizen national, or qualified alien who incurred funeral expenses after January 20, 2020.
- There is no requirement for the deceased person to have been a U.S. citizen, non-citizen national, or qualified alien.
How to Apply?
FEMA will begin accepting applications for Funeral Assistance on Monday, April 12, 2021 through the dedicated call center:
COVID-19 Funeral Assistance Line Number
844-684-6333 or TTY: 800-462-7585
If you had COVID-19 funeral expenses, we encourage you to keep and gather documentation. Types of information should include:
- An official death certificate that attributes the death directly or indirectly to COVID-19 and shows that the death occurred in the United States, including the U.S. territories, and the District of Columbia.
- Funeral expenses documents (receipts, funeral home contract, etc.) that includes the applicant’s name, the deceased person’s name, the amount of funeral expenses, and the dates the funeral expenses happened.
- Proof of funds received from other sources specifically for use toward funeral costs. We are not able to duplicate benefits received from burial or funeral insurance, financial assistance received from voluntary agencies, government agencies, or other sources.
How are Funds Received?
If you are eligible for funeral assistance you will receive a check by mail, or funds by direct deposit, depending on which option you choose when you apply for assistance.
We encourage you to share this information with family or friends that passed away from COVID and need this assistance. Please don’t hesitate to contact us with any questions you may have. Please let us know if we can provide any assistance to help your family gather documentation to apply for reimbursement.